528 Elms Boulevard
This gable-front house has design featurse associated with the Colonial Revival style. The two-story, clapboard covered house has overhanging eaves with a boxed, pedimented cornice. A shallow, mansard roof extension covers the pediment across the gable front. The one-story, full width front porch has a shallow hipped roof with overhanging eaves. A plain wood entablature is supported by round wood columns on stone piers. These in turn are covered in the front by wood trellises. The raised wood floor of the porch also has trellis covering the open foundation, and a simple wood balustrade. A wood balustrade is on the second story of the truncated hip porch roof. On the second story, above the porch balcony, is a bay with three windows. The central window has a wide, central mullion, dividing the multi-paned double-hung sashes. The two flanking windows are nine-over-one. The off-center front entry door has a metal and glass storm, with flanking sidelights. Other windows vary in size, but all are double-hung except for the paired casement windows in the gable-front attic. These have multiple diamond-shaped sashes. There is a small oriel window with hip roof on the first story of the south elevation, as well as an interior chimney on this side.
The Dr. John Payne Residence
Constructed sometime between 1909 and 1913, the house has retained a high degree of architectural integrity. It is an example of a simple residential property type -- the gable-front house -- to which some architectural elements from the then popular Colonial Revival style were added. In 1917, Dr. John Payne was the resident, but by 1922, the owner/occupant was O. W. Holmes. In 1940, an R. F. Adam lived here.